This is the completely revised seventh edition of Australia's best field guide, with more than 500,000 copies sold over its lifetime. In 132 color plates of remarkable beauty and precision, Nicolas Day has captured the details of all of Australia's 760 birds. Succinct text by Ken Simpson and other experts gives key points of identification, as well as information about the birds' abundance and patterns of movement. Every species text is accompanied by a detailed map showing the boundaries of breeding and non-breeding populations.
This updated edition includes sixteen new or revised color plates, all new distribution maps with subspecies shown, and more than 900 black-and white-illustrations. The Vagrant Bird Bulletin has been extended to include 74 species, while a useful breeding summary for every species gives immediate information regarding their annual breeding cycle.
All readers, whether beginners or experienced birdwatchers, ornithologists, students or travelers, will find Simpson & Day's Birds of Australia an unrivalled companion to discovering the unique birdlife of this remarkable continent.
- Field guide section that offers key points of identification using the latest classification system
- 132 superb full color plates showing all Australian bird species, including 16 new or revised plates
- All new distribution maps with subspecies shown
- More than 900 black and white line illustrations, many new or redrawn
- Extended breeding information
- Vagrant Bird Bulletin with 74 species
- Updated core library for beginner birdwatchers